Eclectic House Joins National, State Historic Registries

On Nov. 2, members of the Wesleyan community gathered at the Eclectic House to celebrate the building being named to the National Register of Historic Places and State of Connecticut Historic Registries.

The Eclectic House, located at 200 High Street, was built in 1906 and formally dedicated in 1907. It was designed by Henry Bacon, who also designed the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., as well as Olin Library and several other prominent buildings and spaces at Wesleyan.

The National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the nation’s historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America’s historic and archeological resources. The State Register of Historic Places is Connecticut’s official listing of structures and sites that characterize the historical development of the state.

Eclectic is a coeducational society of resident and associate members committed to the promotion of independent thinking and creative expression. Members plan, host and staff a variety of events that aim to instill a stronger sense of community among Wesleyan students and faculty.

Eclectic’s artistic endeavors in visual art, music, film and more meld the depth of academia with the freedom and ingenuity of youthful expression in order to provide a safe and exciting space for certain students who may not find themselves elsewhere on campus. Eclectic’s members are also committed to the preservation of the architectural and structural integrity of Eclectic House.

The Eclectic House was listed to the National Register of Historic Places in January 2013.

Wesleyan’s Alsop House also was designated a national historic landmark in 2009; Psi Upsilon, located at 242 High Street, was designated in 2009; and the Russell House was designated in 1970.

Photos of the dedication ceremony are below (Photos by John Van Vlack):

eve_hcf_2013-1102110925 eve_hcf_2013-1102111256 eve_hcf_2013-1102112256 eve_hcf_2013-1102112553